05 July 2007

A day of healthy clean fun

So... we left off with Tommy's sore bum-- and oh my goodness- we just realized it's July 4th! Yay! Obviously the fourth of July is less of a big deal in Nova Scotia than back in the US of A... but regardless, it's amazing we remembered cause we never know what day it is. A good sign of a honeymoon if I do say so myself. Anyway-- back to our tandem adventure. I had a blast-- and I think that if I could convince Tommy that I was peddling as hard as he was- he would agree. We started off in the rain-- I was exclaiming--"Wow this is great!" and Tommy was declaring "Wow- this is terrifying!" Of course, this was mostly due to the fact that I was the "stoker" while Tommy was the "captain". This meant that I simply peddled and enjoyed the ride while Tommy had the task of steering a hugely cumbersome bike with a turning circle bigger than our Eclipse-- who knew? Seriously-- at times I was wishing that I had a book to read while I was peddling. All that aside-- while we were both excited about exploring the hyped up "confederation trail" of PEI, we soon came to realize that it was not all that exciting. Even after the clouds cleared and we had scraped some of the iron colored mud off of our legs, the gravel and extreme flatness of the trail started to wear on us. Finally-- after about 3 hours- we made it to our destination and turning point-- Mt. Stewart or Stanley or some other masculine "S"  name...

Once in Mt "S", we searched out a place to replenish our blood sugar. After a week of enjoying the high life of convertible transportation-- our hair was very windswept but our thighs hadn't seen much exercise... So- with the sobering knowledge that we had to ride the 16 miles back-- we ate our fair share of "protein a la grease" at the local family restaurant. We then made the wise decision of traveling back to Charlettetown via the roads. As expected, the tarmac and hills made the ride back much more exciting-- if not terrifying at times. The first downhill was much steeper than I had anticipated-- and just as Tommy was shouting for me to keep my feet on the peddles no matter what... my poor little legs couldn't keep up and I found myself with both feet in the air and fingers crossed. Luckily-- we made it to the bottom of the next climb without incident... Other highlights of our trip back include encounters with very very large farm machinery and traversing the four lane bridge back to Charlettetown. Something that is probably not recommended to do in a tandem recumbent bicycle. Amazingly-- we made it back to the bike shop with time to spare-- although our legs were a wee bit wobbly.

Having done the bicycle thing in PEI, we decided to head to Nova Scotia. Before heading to the ferry terminal the next day-- we stopped at the island's winery and tasted a few wines-- including a maple wine that tastes eerily of the maple candy we often get that the duty free... A few bottles of wine richer-- we skirted our way onto the next ferry to Nova Scotia-- where we now sit. Before we make it up to present-- we had another camping adventure (this time was slightly dryer), and we've now landed at a great B&B in Meat Cove-- the northernmost point of Nova Scotia. More details to come-- but first... sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment