24 February 2010

The Baby Welcome Committee

Today is 30 weeks, 5 days... but who's counting? Our house is rapidly beginning to fill up with baby stuff- thanks in part to my sister (for all her fabulous hand-me-down goods) and in part to my New York (and Jersey) friends. Tommy and I had our first baby shower last weekend, hosted by the lovely Kate Navin (otherwise known as Katie or Sputnick) in her Jersey home. It was a long drive, but it was great to catch up good friends! The little guys pictured above were hand-crocheted gifts from Katie herself- who knew she was so talented? We received many other fabulous things at the shower, including a "revolutionary" car seat (which I hear is necessary if you want to take your baby revolutionary home from the hospital), organic baby swaddlers (which my friend Carrie lovingly called "baby straight jackets"), a thermometer (that is equipped with a "fever light bar" and attachments for taking temperatures from every body part imaginable), and a groovy baby wrap carrier (so that I can "wear" my baby like all the movie stars do these days...) This is not an exhaustive list by any means-- so as you can see, Baby Costello is well on his/her way to becoming a well cared for, entertained and fashionable baby!

At the shower, my belly even got the seal of approval from Doctor Hobbs herself. She said my belly was the most perfect belly she's ever seen. Now Kumari has seen a lot of pregnant bellies in her line of work- so this seems like high praise... but she might be just a tad biased :) At any rate, my belly is now a proper pregnant belly- in fact, it's hard to believe that I have 2 months of growth left- how can I possibly stretch any more?? The wee babe's movements are getting stronger- it's down right surprising sometimes. I mean, how can I focus on teaching English stress/intonation patterns when my belly is visibly moving from side to side? It's all very strange, but all very wonderful at the same time.

So... we anxiously await baby's arrival as our house fills with stuff and I frantically try to make space for it all. Next month's activities include: more baby showers, childbirth classes and interviews with pediatricians. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. LOVE the new post!! :) And i LOVE that BELLY!!! it certainly IS the most PERFECT belly of all...

    I love you, and Tommy!!!!

    Can't wait to see you soon. Give baby a kiss for me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stupid looking elephant! ;-)

    So happy to have you guys here for a couple of days. Fritz is very sad that her new best friend is gone. I told her we'd come visit you soon.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cara and Tommy,
    We did a little registry shopping. Expect a box from Target and feel free to swap any duplicates!

    Sorry we'll miss your shower!

    xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
    AP

    ReplyDelete